Monday 26 January 2015

Through the Eyes of a Slave Girl

We have recently read an extract from Clotee: Diary of a Slave Girl. She's learning to read and write secretly. Whenever she thinks of a word she sees it in pictures. I did this exercise in response to the extract...

Whenever I think of the word b-o-o-k-s , I see books in the library in the big house. Rows and rows of leather books just standing there being wasted. I imagine me reading all of them. One day I will.

Whenever I write the word t-e-a-c-h-e-r, I think of me sitting at the top of the class writing long stories about whatever I was thinking. One day I will have the freedom to write whatever's in my mind on a sheet of paper.

Whenever I think of the word h-o-u-s-e I think of me living in a big house with a family and repeat the same thing every day. I make dinner, play with the kids and read my book.

By Jack Cottrell 6th class.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment