Monday 10 November 2014

Creative Writing in the Senior Room


Recently we studied a poem in our class, "Me and Him" by Richard Edwards. In this poem we talked about elderly people and problems that some elderly people have.

Then we looked at a photograph of a pair of hands belonging to an old lady. I wrote this piece in response to this photograph.

Look at my hands

Look at my hands, they are old and wrinkly but they have been through so much.
First my hands held my new born baby brother.
They are the hands that wrote the exam that passed my Junior and Leaving certs.
These are also the hands that bore a wedding ring on my fourth finger on my left hand.
These are the hands that held the hands of my husband on his death bed.
These are the hands that held a bundle of joy that was my grand daughter.
These are the hands that soon will be wrapped in rosary beads as I lie dead.


by Cormac Kane 5th class

2 comments: