Tuesday 11 November 2014

"Kes" by Lawrence Till

This week the Senior Room have been reading from "Kes" (an adaptation of "A Kestral for a Knave" by Barry Hines). Kes is the story of Billy Casper and his love of falconry. The play also tells of his difficult home life with his mother and older brother Jud.

I wrote this diary entry for Billy.

Hi my name is Billy. Tonight like every Saturday night I am in the company of nobody. Jud, my abusive brother is in the pub and I don't know exactly where my mother is but I have a fair idea - in the pub with Jud drinking like there is no tomorrow and soon to be back at her boyfriend Reg's house.
And here I am home alone waiting for Jud to come home with his mates and a woman most likely, and beat me around tossing me off the walls, taking the mick out of me and my interest in falconry. But it does not matter, my cuts, wounds and bruises heal quickly and I'll get my kestrel soon and I will have something to do every Saturday night.

by David King, 5th class

3 comments: